A landscape architect is someone who designs beautiful outdoor spaces. The scope of the profession’s focus on master planning, town planning, garden design, project management, and execution is wide-ranging. Landscapers implement the architect’s ideas.
Landscape architecture is a multi-disciplinary area combining urban design elements, architecture, geography, ecology, civil engineering, structural engineering, horticulture, environmental psychology, industrial design, soil sciences, botany, and fine arts. Their works can be seen in streets, parking spaces, museums, stadiums, schools, campuses, cemeteries etc.
Apart from designing, they also help the government formulate policies and frameworks to improve living conditions. Landscape architects are proud of themselves because their past and present works give joy to humanity. For additional information, visit our website at https://landscapingofrhodeisland.com/.
Do you need a landscape architect?
Depending on the intricacy of the project, complex landscaping projects are carried out by a qualified landscape architect. Moreover, Landscape architects are jacks of all trades, and this attribute gives them an edge to bestow your site a desirable look. People often confuse landscape architects with landscapers.
The landscapers are like workers who enforce all ideas instructed by the architect. Since all sites are different, you should be expecting a unique design that combines all factors such as:
- Environmental factors
- Socio behavioral factors
- Geological factors
- Legal framework
How much should I pay a landscape architect?
You want to hire a landscape architect and landscaper to transform your outdoor look, however, you have no idea the cost implication. Landscape Architect fees vary, and it’s common for them to base the fees on a percentage of the total cost for the project. The percentage is between 10% and 20%.
Another way of paying a landscape architect is an hourly rate, as low as $65 and as high as $280. According to Home Advisor, the cost to hire a landscape architect ranges between $70 to $150 per hour.
There is also a flat fee or lump sum. The rate can be as low as $1,300 to thousands for just a design if the owner doesn’t want the landscape architect to supervise the construction.
Finally, is the retainer or deposit. In this case, the landscape architect asks for a flat deposit before commencing work. The deposit could be 25% to 35% from the agreed fee.
When should a landscape architect be used?
In a nutshell, you need to call a landscape architect and landscaper to make extensive outdoor improvements. When you have a space that is not used, a landscape architect can help you maximize your space.
According to the New York Times, landscape architects can turn the ordinary backyard into a beautiful garden. Landscaping might include putting up tree lines for privacy purposes through planting of ornaments to create relaxation spots.
Landscaping also extends to commercial buildings. If you acquire a commercial property and don’t know how to maximize the space or put it to better use, landscape architects and landscapers can do just that.
You can hire the services of a landscape architect when you have outdoor problems. A landscape architect can solve drainage problems through regrading to prevent floods or pounding.
According to Home Advisor, you need to learn the basics of landscaping before hiring a landscape architect. Also, you need to recognize the certificate to look for to determine the professional’s credibility.
Here are seven reasons why hiring a landscape architect is worth it
- When your current landscape space and amenities needs modification. You cannot add to your space even if your home is new. Likewise, you cannot be content with every aspect of your terrain. What landscape architects and landscapers can offer you is to elevate that aspect you love. They hide the rest through tantalizing designs. Landscape companies can’t offer similar services even though they can design.
- When grading your land. You want your landscape to achieve beauty; use the services of a landscape architect and landscaper to plan with the natural grading of your outdoors. They consider the existing grading to achieve harmonious terrain, differentiating landscape architects from a landscape company. Also, landscape architects are degree holders.
- Landscape architect works with a budget. Landscape architects don’t just design without considering your budget. Even if the project is planned in phases, Landscape architects must ascertain the budget to avoid a halfway project. A landscape company will still employ the services of a landscape architect, so why waste your fund. It’s smart to contact a landscape architect from the onset directly.
- Landscape architects plan with your natural environment. A landscape architect’s design is meant to work with the natural environment. The landscaper executes landscape architectural plans perfectly to create a natural habitat for humans. A foreign plant cannot grow well as a local plant; that’s why landscape architects comply with plans that fit the natural environment. Landscape architects and landscapers know how to create a natural swimming pool. Landscape companies can’t understand the natural environment the same way a landscape architect would do.
- Landscape architects give room for maintenance. Another worth mentioning reason you should hire a landscape architect is that they give room for maintenance when planning and designing. When the outdoor design is difficult to maintain, what was meant to bring joy becomes a problem. Therefore, it’s worthwhile to engage the services of a landscape architect over landscape companies.
- Landscape Architect offers expertise from start to finish. Landscape architects get involved with the project from planning, designing, implementing, and construction. They take an active role in embellishing your outdoor project from the onset to the end. No other professionals can do it more perfectly than landscape architects.
- They will design a landscape you will love. The finished project of a landscape architect is the one you will fall in love with. They are well-trained specialists who would not disappoint you.
What’s the distinction between a landscape architect and a landscape designer?
For you to be a landscape architect, you need to pass through years of learning within the four walls of a learning institution to get certified with at least a degree, but a landscape designer doesn’t need a certification and thus only works on smaller projects whereas a landscape architect works on public and bigger projects. Designers focus on the plants and have a horticultural background.
What’s the contrast between a landscape architect and a landscape contractor?
A landscape contractor’s job description is different from a landscape architect’s, so you need to understand this before giving a job to the wrong hands. Landscape contractors recommend suitable materials such as plants, shrubs, stones and gravel. All these materials must fit the location’s needs. On the other hand, landscape architects create plans that accommodate various elevations, climate, drainage and usage.
They even forecast the future to accommodate future occurrences when designing your garden. Furthermore, according to Home advisor, you can hire a contractor if it’s a small and specific project. If it’s a large project, you will need a landscape architect.
Hiring a landscape architect
Hiring a landscape architect is worth it due to their competency backed with solid certificates. Contact a professional landscape architect today to beautify your backyards and maximize your space and terrain.